August 2, 2018
Fort McMurray, AB – The Wood Buffalo RCMP would like to update our residents on an Alberta RCMP initiative called Crime Reduction Units (CRU). In the past few months the Wood Buffalo Crime Reduction Unit has developed a mandate and supports Alberta RCMP priorities. This includes targeting areas with an increased rate in crime that has been identified by the police and public. At the moment one of the identified areas in Wood Buffalo for extra enforcement is in the downtown core.
The Wood Buffalo Crime Reduction Unit has been very active in the month of July.
• 13 Warrants of Arrest were executed, including repeat offenders.
• Seven Subjects were charged with a total of 18 breaches. These breaches include multiple repeat offenders and were in identified areas with higher crime rates. This was accomplished with proactive patrols and compliance checks.
• 31 Criminal Code of Canada charges on seven people.
• Numerous compliance checks were completed to ensure court orders are being respected.
The Crime Reduction Unit provides service to the whole municipality. CRU assisted other sections in the Wood Buffalo RCMP Detachment to provide additional RCMP resources in the Wood Buffalo Regional Municipality including during the gas leak in Fort McKay, and the 911 outage in Conklin. These police officers are serving the community in a proactive capacity, and are dedicated to crime reduction.
Crime Reduction tip of the month:
• Be sure to communicate with your neighbour, or someone you trust when you are planning to be away. That way, if they see something suspicious at your house while you are away, ask them to call police.
Corporal Teri-Ann Deobald
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC