July 9, 2018
Fort McMurray, AB – The Wood Buffalo RCMP would like to update our residents on an Alberta RCMP initiative called Crime Reduction Units (CRU). In the past few months the Wood Buffalo Crime Reduction Unit has developed a mandate and supports Alberta RCMP priorities. This includes targeting areas with an increased rate in crime that has been identified by the police and public. At the moment one of the areas identified in Wood Buffalo is the downtown core.
The Wood Buffalo Crime Reduction Unit has been very active in the month of June.
- Sixteen Warrants of Arrest were executed, including repeat offenders.
- Five Subjects were charged with a total of 37 breaches. These breaches include multiple repeat offenders and were in identified areas with higher crime rates. This was accomplished with proactive patrols and compliance checks.
- Nine Criminal Code of Canada charges on four (4) people, including impaired driving charges.
- One Canadian Border Services Agency Canada wide warrant was executed.
The Crime Reduction Unit provides service to the whole municipality. These police officers are active in various forms, including foot patrols of the downtown core, vehicle patrols, and boat patrols. These police officers are serving the community in a proactive capacity, and are dedicated to crime reduction.
Crime Reduction tip of the month:
- Ensure your surveillance systems are in good working order, and pointing in a direction that is able to best identify any people or concerning actions on the property.
Corporal Teri-Ann Deobald
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC