Dec. 18, 2018
Fort McMurray, Alta – Wood Buffalo RCMP would like share tips for staying safe while travelling this holiday season. Winter weather conditions pose challenges and safety risks for all motorists on our roadway.
Drivers can keep the following in mind:
• Be prepared as road and weather conditions may change during your travels. Pack a sleeping bag, and winter survival kit, especially if you are planning a trip outside of town;
• Slow down and adjust your driving to weather conditions;
Pedestrians can keep the following in mind:
• Dress for the variable weather conditions, and be prepared so you can stay warm;
• Be aware walkways may be icy. Avoid walking along highways or on roadways where pedestrians are prohibited;
• Use cross walks when crossing the street. Never assume the driver will give you the right of way.
Intersections are a high risk area for collisions. Both drivers and pedestrians should be aware of their surroundings.
Wood Buffalo RCMP will be increasing check stops throughout the holiday season to watch for impaired drivers. RCMP encourage everyone to call a taxi service, have a designated driver, or call a friend to help you get home safely.
This holiday season, make safe choices for everyone, don’t drive if you have been drinking, using drugs, or are fatigued.
If you suspect a vehicle driver may be impaired, do not get in the vehicle with them. If you encounter a vehicle you suspect is being driven by an impaired driver, record the license plate number and dial 911 to report the vehicle and the direction of travel when it is safe and legal to do so.
Constable Mélanie Cappiello-Stébenne
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC