September 4, 2018
Fort McMurray, Alberta – With the colder temperatures and frosty windshields greeting us this morning, Wood Buffalo RCMP would like to remind residents of five vehicle safety reminders.
1. For those who wish to warm up their vehicle, and melt the frost off the windshield, it is recommended to use command start.
2. If you start your vehicle and leave the keys in the ignition, it affords someone an opportunity to steal your vehicle with ease, while creating more stress for the owner of the vehicle. Stay with your vehicle, and remove the frost from all of the windows to ensure clear visibility.
3. If you don’t have command start, if you start your vehicle, and are in a legally parked position, feel free to use that time to catch up on social media, while your vehicle warms up and melts the frost from all windows for you.
4. If you are stopping for a morning coffee, please don’t leave your vehicle running, with keys inside, and unattended. Turn it off, lock it, and be more at peace that you will have a higher chance of your vehicle being there for you and your coffee.
5. We encourage you to keep valuables out of your vehicle, or out of sight, and to keep your vehicle locked at all times.
If you see someone who you suspect is stealing a vehicle, you are encouraged to call the Wood Buffalo RCMP at 780-788-4000.
In conjunction with the RCMP Auto Theft Unit, an initiative to use a “Bait Vehicle” has been utilized in various areas in Wood Buffalo. The Wood Buffalo RCMP are warning would be criminals that if you steal a vehicle, or enter it to steal items, it may be a “Bait Vehicle” and you will be caught. This is one component of the ongoing crime reduction strategies in the Wood Buffalo Region, and across the province of Alberta.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or by internet at www.tipsubmit.com.
Corporal Teri-Ann Deobald
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC