September 12, 2018
A new online tool, the RCMP Crime Map provides up-to-date information on police incidents within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
The RCMP Crime Map is a targeted, evidence-based approach that informs residents of five crime types throughout the region:
• Break and enters
• Stolen vehicles
• Theft from motor vehicles
• Missing persons
The crime map will display occurrences that fit the identified property and person crime types over a two-week period.
“Neighbourhood crime isn’t just about numbers; it’s about knowing where crime is happening in our region,” says Superintendent Lorna Dicks. “This new tool gives residents an opportunity to be an extra set of eyes and ears in the communities we serve.”
By providing tools like the map and crime prevention resources, the RCMP can continue working together with members of the public to build a safer Wood Buffalo.
Residents have an important part to play when it comes to crime prevention. Here are a few tips that may help protect you from becoming a victim of crime:
• Lock it up! Always lock your vehicle, garage and home – even if you’re home.
• Remove valuable items from places they are visible, like in your vehicle or by a window.
• Take photos of your personal property, including serial numbers if possible. This information can greatly aid the RCMP in identifying and returning property to you.
• Join community associations such as Rural Crime Watch and Citizens on Patrol.
To review the RCMP Crime Map and learn more about how you can prevent crime, visit woodbuffalorcmp.ca.
Corporal Teri-Ann Deobald
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC