Jan. 11 2019
Fort McMurray, AB – The Wood Buffalo RCMP and Wood Buffalo Bylaw Services remind residents of the importance and necessity of registering all Off Highway Vehicles (OHV). Unfortunately, OHV are often seen as ideal targets to thieves and in 2018, 25 ATVs and seven snowmobiles were stolen with only seven ATVs recovered.
Ensuring your OHV is registered and insured is not only a requirement of the Traffic Safety Act; Off-Highway Vehicle Regulations (AR 319/2002), but it also helps police search for, locate and return stolen OHVs to their rightful owners. In addition to that, it assists the investigation and claim process with your insurance company and can help keep your insurance rates down.
If you are the owner of an OHV, ensure the following:
• Go to your local Registry and register all of your OHVs
• Properly attach and display your registration plate or sticker according to regulations
• Contact your insurance company and get coverage that`s right for you
• Keep a copy of your registration and insurance papers as well as your ID with you when out riding but do not store them in or on your OHV
• Make sure you have a copy of all of your OHV information – receipt of purchase, vehicle identification number or tunnel identification number for snowmobiles, registration papers and insurance papers – safely filed at home
• If you have a garage or shed in which to store your OHVs, make sure it is securely locked
• Always take the keys out of your OHV when not in use and secure in a safe place
Following these steps reduces your chances of becoming a victim of theft and helps police identify and recover stolen OHVs.
For further information regarding off-highway vehicle use in the municipality, contact the Wood Buffalo Pulse line at (780) 743-7000 or visit www.rmwb.ca.
Stay safe and enjoy this riding season!
Constable Mélanie Cappiello-Stébenne
Wood Buffalo RCMP-GRC