August 30, 2019
Fort McMurray, Alta. – Tuesday, September 3, 2019 represents the first day back to school for most students in Wood Buffalo and RCMP will be enhancing presence and promoting road safety in school zones.
For the safety of students and citizens, please pay attention to speed limits and cross walks in school and playground zones. The 30km/hr speed zone time is from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every school day but it is good practice to assume children are present at all times and slow down.
Speed limits in school zones will be strictly enforced as of September 3, 2019.
Wood Buffalo RCMP would like to share some school safety reminders and potential fines:
1. Passing a school bus with red lights activated: $465.
2. Passing any moving vehicle in a school/playground zone when speed limit is in effect: $233
3. No pedestrian shall cross other than at a cross walk or intersection: $120.
4. Failing to yield to a pedestrian: $776.
5. Parking within 10 metres of a cross walk, or stop sign: $120.
6. Stopping, parking or impeding traffic on a roadway in school zones: $155.
7. Distracted driving: $287 and 3 demerits.
8. Parking is not permitted in fire lanes, transit zones, within 5 metres of a fire hydrant, or within 1.5 metres of a driveway: $120.
9. Fail to signal properly: $155.
Increased vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be moving throughout our communities and public can also expect to see school buses on the road again. We would like to remind the public that when the red lights are flashing and the stop sign is out, drivers are obligated to “Stop”, and failing to do so could earn a driver a $502.00 fine.
Wood Buffalo RCMP