Police, Fire or Ambulance: Call 9-1-1

Wood Buffalo (Fort McMurray) Detachment

  • Complaint Line: 780-788-4000
  • Administration Line: 780-788-4040

Fort Chipewyan Detachment

  • Complaint Line: 780-697-3665
  • Administration Line: 780-697-3931

Dialing 9-1-1 on a satellite telephone will not place your call to the nearest emergency service, but will go the satellite communications main centre. Please advise the operator of your location and the nearest community to provide assistance.

Q. Why do the police need to know my name, birth date, address and phone number?

A. The police may require further information and need to contact you. Your birth date is requested to identify you and not another person bearing the same name.

Q. When should I call 9-1-1?

A. Anytime you require an immediate response by police, fire and/or ambulance. Cell phones that have a number assigned to them but no plan or minutes can still call 9-1-1.

Q. When should I call the RCMP complaints line 780-788-4000?

A. If you do not require immediate police assistance but have something to report to the police, call this 24-hour dispatch line. This line is answered at the Northern Alberta Operations Communications Centre (NAOCC) in Edmonton Headquarters.

Q. When should I call the RCMP administration line 780-788-4040?

A. Call the RCMP administration line for questions you may have about any matter not requiring a police officer to attend. For example: questions about criminal records checks, contacting a specific RCMP officer or unit, or other general questions relating to the police. The line will be answered Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Q. What do I do if I am in a motor vehicle collision?

A. If there are injuries or alcohol or drug use is suspected, call 9-1-1 or 780-788-4000 immediately. Minor collisions with property damage exceeding $2,000 or any damage to public property must be reported to the police. When coming to the detachment to report a collision, please ensure you bring your registration, insurance, driver’s licence and an estimate of the damage, exceeding $2,000.

Q. I am a victim of a crime (eg. theft, assault). What do I do?

A. Call the police complaints line 780-788-4000 providing as much detail as possible. Sometimes the complaint lines at NAOCC are very busy and wait times occur. Please be patient and report what occurred and a local RCMP member will follow up by contacting you.

Q. Who do I call to report suspicious activity?

A. Call the complaints line at 780-788-4000. The police respond to many calls of suspicious activity which may prevent crimes from occurring. If you are not sure if the activity is suspicious, report it so the police can decide. Crime Stoppers can be called if you do not want to provide your name. Crime Stoppers is available 24-hrs at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or online at www.crimestoppers.ab.ca.

Q. Who do I call if I have a noise complaint?

A. Call the Bylaw Services Complaint line at 780-762-5858.

Q. Who do I call if I have an animal nuisance/noise complaint?

A. Call Animal Control at 780-762-5858.

Q. If I see a threatening wild animal, such as a bear, should I report it to someone?

A. Yes. Sightings can be reported to the local Fish and Wildlife Office at 780-743-7200.

Q. How do I get a criminal record check (background check) or fingerprints?

A. Please note that all services listed below will be by appointment only. To book an appointment, please call 780-788-4040.


  • Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
  • Tuesdays: 9 to 11:45 a.m. (ink and roll)
  • Tuesdays: 1 to 4 p.m. (digital)
  • Sundays: 1 to 3:30 p.m.

There is an associated fee for Criminal Record Checks and Fingerprinting, which needs to be paid prior to your application being processed.

Processing Fees for Fingerprints:
Ottawa Processing Fee: $50 Certified Cheque or Money Order made payable to “Receiver General of Canada’ (obtained from a bank or post office).
Municipal Processing Fee: $10.50 payable to the RMWB.

Processing Fee for Criminal Record Checks:
Municipal Processing Fee: $15.75 payable to the RMWB.
The criminal record check will be ready for pickup within two weeks.

Municipal processing fees can be paid at one of the following locations:

RCMP Front Counter
105 Paquette Drive
Fort McMurray Alberta

Jubilee Centre
9909 Franklin Avenue
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Timberlea Landing
309 Powder Drive
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q. How do I get a Driver's Abstract?

A. A driver’s abstract can be obtained at any Alberta Registry Office.

Q.How can I find out road conditions?

A. For road reports, go online to www.ama.ab.ca or call 511 from a cell phone.

Q. How can I find out if my lost/stolen property has been found by the RCMP?

A. Contact the police officer assigned to your incident report through the administration line at 780-788-4040 for follow-up. Recorded markings on the lost/stolen items (e.g. bicycle serial number) make returning the property much easier at the time it is located.

Q. How do I become an RCMP officer?

A. The RCMP is always looking to hire good men and women to join the ranks. Please visit the RCMP’s Recruiting website for more information.

Q. How do I become a Bylaw officer?

A. Bylaw officers are hired by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. To see current job opportunities, visit Employment Opportunities or call the Human Resources department at 780-799-5813 or 780-799-5833.

Q. How do I arrange a presentation for youth or community group?

A. Contact the Community Policing Coordinator at 780-788-4245.

Q. Where can I learn more about the bylaws in effect in the Municipality?

A. Bylaws are listed on our website on the Municipal Bylaws page. You can also contact the Bylaw Administration Line at 780-762-5858.

Q. How do I apply for a pardon?

A. A pardon booklet can be picked up at the RCMP detachment located at 105 Paquette Drive in Timberlea. You can also access the information through the National Pardons Bureau online at www.npb-cnlc.gc.ca/pardons . Instructions are included.

Q. Where do I pay my speeding ticket?

A. The instructions to pay or dispute a speeding ticket or any other ticket are on the back of the copy you are given by the peace officer. You can pay any ticket at the courthouse, located at 9700 Franklin Avenue, through mail, or online at www.finepayment.gov.ab.ca .

Q. Where do I pay my parking ticket?

A. Parking tickets can be paid at the cashier’s desk on the main floor of the Jubilee Centre, 9909 Franklin Avenue, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Alternately, they can be paid at Timberlea Landing at 309 Powder Drive between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Q. I want to dispute the ticket I got. How do I do that?

A. To dispute your ticket, you must appear in court during the date and time listed on your ticket.

Crime Stoppers is a community-based program designed to assist in solving, preventing, and reducing crime by addressing citizen apathy and fear of reprisal related to relaying information to police. Crime Stoppers ensures anonymity and guarantees an informer will not be called upon to testify. The program also provides a financial incentive to encourage citizens to come forward. Crime Stoppers offers awards to anyone who provides a tip that leads to an arrest, the recovery of stolen property, or the seizure of drugs.

Crime Stoppers tips may be submitted in several different ways. Tipsters can visit the website at www.crimestoppers.ab.ca, call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or text “TIP100 plus your message” to 274637 (CRIMES) on your cell phone or mobile device.